Friday, July 6, 2012

Project 10: Rewarding Yourself




I've decided to dedicate this week's Project 10 post to rewards. In the past (the VERY recent past) I frequently used food as a reward for a job well done. I did it this week as a matter of fact. After posting about my 3lb weight loss- I "rewarded" myself by eating whatever I wanted at the July 4th BBQ we went to- which was thrown by a friend who is an AMAZING caterer. I didn't stuff myself- but I did sample a little bit of everything (including the desserts) AND had 2 beers. I shouldn't have been shocked to see those 3lbs added back on when I stepped on the scale the next morning.

I think many people have a food=reward mindset, most likely carried over from childhood. I remember going to Friendly's to celebrate after a chorus concert or dance recital, getting an ice cream sundae for a good report card, going out to dinner after good news at a parent teacher conference. I was a great student- maybe that's why I was so chubby as a kid!

I need to work on my perception of food. Food isn't necessary to have a good time, it is necessary to live. Filling my body with junk is only going to reduce my lifespan thus reducing the time I have to enjoy! I have to think of other ways to reward myself. I've started a wishlist on Amazon so I can choose things as I reach my weight loss and healthy living goals.

How do you reward yourself for a job well done?

Thanks for reading!


(Head over to Stephanie's Mommy Brain to read all about Project 10 and visit the other bloggers who are involved!)

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I really struggle with rewarding myself (and my kids!) with food. On Monday my littlest guy had to stay with me while the 3 big kids attended gymnastics camp. My first thought was to make it up to him with a trip to McDonald's for ice cream cones. Definitely something I need to change. Back on the bandwagon this week, right?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing with me!